Wednesday, February 19, 2014

MTC Week 2: Getting in the groove

This week Sister Larson fills us in on getting into the routine of the Missionary Training Center, with a few photos as well...
Meagan's door indicating the inhabitants' destinations

Dear Family and Friends,

I hope you are all doing well and that you had a great Valentine's Day! The MTC is one of the best places to be if you're single on Valentine's Day, because no one's going on dates! It's awesome :). I got a candy from some random Elder who was going around to classrooms, and the donuts in the morning had red and white sprinkles. I also wore a red skirt. It was precious. And that's about all I did that was abnormal on Valentine's Day, haha.

This past week has overall been pretty great. I've really gotten into the groove of how to do things and what my schedule is. I love my companions. We laugh all the time. The Elders always ask us why we're so giggly, which just sets us off even more. We even have inside jokes. It's great. I couldn't ask for better companions. The only problem we do have is that we are three of the most forgetful people in the whole entire world. I cannot tell you how many times we have gone down from our fourth floor dorm, almost made it to the classroom, and realized someone forgot their ID, their scriptures, the laundry detergent (which was us this morning), etc. It's terrible. 

I didn't get any mail on Friday, Saturday, Monday, or Tuesday, so it was a bit backed up. The bookstore was doing inventory over the weekend, so the mailroom obviously had to be closed as well :P and then yesterday, Elder Savage of our district went to the doctor around lunchtime and was gone all day because he had been having chest pains. His companion, our district leader, obviously had to go with him and since only district leaders can get the mail, we didn't get it until this morning. It was so funny, we saw them in the laundry room and were telling them they had to get our mail before we could e-mail, and then while we were putting our laundry in an announcement came on saying "Will Elder Savage please come to the main desk blah blah blah" and we RAN before he could leave and yelled that someone had to get our mail or we would kill them. They are nice Elders, so they did, but I was worried there for a bit.

I love hearing from friends and family, I really do. As a missionary, you forget that there is a world outside of the MTC, so I love hearing what goes on in people's lives, even if it sounds boring. I promise I'll love it.

Last Wednesday, after I wrote our e-mail, we got to go to the temple, which was absolutely awesome. Due to complications with Sister Price's temple recommend, we had to wait for a while and only got to do some initiatories, but it was awesome and we plan on doing an endowment session later today. I love the temple and I encourage everyone to go every chance they get! The Spirit always dwells in the temple.

One other little funny thing I've found out about missionaries is that you forget that you have a first name. I was telling an Elder a story last night, and I said my name in past tense talking about myself or something, and he was like "Who's Meagan?" and I just looked at him and said "I am," and it was a little weird. I signed a receipt yesterday and I almost signed it "Sister Larson" because I feel like Sister is my first name now.

Also, missionaries (or maybe just me) get so excited about things you people in the real world don't think about all the time. Like, I love going on the temple walks every Sunday and being outside of the MTC, under open sky. It was so nice this Sunday and very sunny. We also studied outside yesterday and went for a little walk because it was so warm. Also on Sunday, we get to watch church films or talks after the devotional, and my companions and I were so excited to be able to watch Legacy this Sunday. It is so cheesy and the acting is just fantastic. I love pioneers, though, and I love how the church has survived through all of these trials! 

The biggest surprise of the week came when we found out our first Chinese investigator, Guochenwei, was actually going to be our second teacher, Su Laoshi (l-ow-sure). Okay, so maybe I was the only one that was really surprised, and everyone else in my district saw it coming, but I didn't and I was freaked out. It was cool though, because he is a native Chinese speaker and he teaches us a lot about grammar and when you can use certain words. We also have two more "investigators" played by our two teachers.

Showering at the MTC is different for Elders and Sisters, or so I've heard. When I go shower, there are always sisters humming hymns or Disney songs. Some of them forget that when they shower, other people do to, and that they may not appreciate you belting "NOOOO ONEEEEE SHOOTS LIKE GASTON MAKES THOSE BEAUTS LIKE GASTON," so that's always fun. But sometimes when I'm humming a hymn, a random stranger hums the alto part with me and it's awesome.

More about my companions, because there's just so much to say about them, Sister Price and I are very alike and enjoy many of the same things. She's very intuitive as I might have said before. She eats bananas everyday even though she hates them. I don't know why. She said something about potassium, but I don't believe her. She also has wonderful spiritual insights that she has shared in companion study. We always love to laugh. Sister Biancardi is just awesome, she's always so happy and is determined to do everything right. She laughs at everything, which is good, because then she laughs at all my jokes and it makes me feel like I'm funny. Which I appreciate. She also loves to sing and has a beautiful voice! Again, I love them and I got so lucky to have them.
Sister Price and I were matching on accident, so Sister Biancardi changed to match us as well. We're cute.


Me and my companions reenacting the Samuel H Smith statue. It was a very sunny day so my eyes are a bit squinty. We are hauling out 23 pounds of language material off to the mission field!

I love being here and feeling the Spirit everyday. I can tell that the Lord remembers His missionaries and loves them, little things happen throughout the day that He knows will make me happy. I've learned that the gospel of Christ is very simple and that too often, we who have been raised in the church make it more complicated than it needs to be. I am getting better at the language everyday, and I love teaching our Chinese investigators, even though it's hard sometimes. The church is true, the Book of Mormon is the best book in the whole world, and I have never once regretted coming on my mission. Tell everyone about the gospel! Find little ways to slip it into your everyday conversation. You will be blessed, and those whose lives you touch will appreciate your love and concern. I love you all!! Wo ai nimen!

Love, 
Sister Larson

(For you non-Chinese speakers out there, "Wo ai nimen!"  means "I love you!")

No comments:

Post a Comment