Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Chapter 5: Meagan's Chinese is very standard, and the entertainment value of shampoo lids

Dear family and friends, 

Wow, has it really been 5 weeks already? That's crazy! Honestly, sometimes it feels like I just got here and other days I feel like I was born at the MTC and this is all I know. Either way, the MTC is still rockin' and I had some great experiences this week!




So my companions and I always have gym time, everyday except Sunday and P-day. But sometimes we don't like to go to the gym and ride stationary bikes or run around a track. So sometimes we just "work out" and "stretch" in our rooms. One day this past week we decided to go up on the top bunk and throw a loofah at each other, like playing catch. It sounds really lame when I type it out, but it was fun in the moment. We also kicked a shampoo lid to each other in the shower one day. We just like to have fun. :)


We get really, really bored sometimes. At least we find ways to
entertain ourselves. She was saying "I'm like a fruit fly!"

During lunch, we get really bored because we have 45 minutes but we eat in like 15. We usually don't get mail until dinner time, so the post office isn't fun. And the bookstore only has so many items you can look at before it gets really super boring. So one day this week we went on a nature walk and explored the expansive, wild grounds of the MTC. I found a stick, some leaves, and a dead worm I named Sherman. Honestly, I don't know what the dead worm was about, I think I was just really tired that day. I definitely picked him up, which is really gross looking back. Let's just say that in the moment, everything I do makes sense to me. Haha.

Ducks! Wildlife! It exists! We were so excited to see these ducks, it's a little bit sad.

This past Sunday was, in a word, awesome. We always have Relief Society as a huge group with all of the sister missionaries. My companions and I accidentally got there way super early, so Sister Biancardi and I were asked to say the prayer. It was cool because we got to sit on the stand and pray in front of like everyone and be on the camera. And the lady who asked me to say the prayer was a mission president's wife for my mission a few years ago! She gave me a huge hug and proceeded to tell me everything about Leeds. It was so awesome. Heavenly Father definitely knows me. It's hard being the only person in the MTC going to Leeds, especially when I'm the only one speaking Mandarin. But He always finds a way to make me feel less lonely, and I'm so grateful for that! Also on Sunday, on our temple walk, I saw my entire BYU student ward! It was so amazing, because two of my best friends are in that ward. I gave them huge hugs and, okay, I totally cried a little bit. They just got mission calls so I could tell them in person how proud and excited I was. I got to hug one of my roommates that was there. I said hi to my fantastic bishopric. It was just awesome. 

On our temple walks, the Elders in our district like to take full advantage
 of the peace and quiet at the temple... by sleeping. Several couples walked by outside
the fence and laughed at us. (I was totally sleeping most of the time too.) 

As for my Chinese, we had to take a Language Speaking Assessment this past week. It was hard, because the questions were like, "You just taught Sister Jones that God loves her. Now ask her three questions about how she feels," or "Teach Brother Green about the great apostasy. Go." And it's pretty difficult, because it gives you like a minute to think about it and then you have to talk. And you only get one chance to record your answer. So I definitely laughed in one of my recordings because my answer was so stupid. But I did better than I thought I did! I get the compliment from teachers that I am "Very standard," which at first I thought was offensive, like, "Oh, you're so average, keep up the grade-C work," but then they were like, "No, it means that you don't have an accent, you sound like an Asian," and then I was like, "Well. That's better." Just kidding, I was humble about it.

Cultural side note, Chinese speakers are very humble about accepting compliments. They're like teenage girls with compliments. "Oh, that skirt is so pretty!" "Oh, please, it wasn't even that expensive." "Wow, you're wife's cooking is so good!" "Nah, it's just average cooking." These are real examples from my grammar book. Also, in response to compliments, they say "Nali, nali," which literally means "Where, where?" but I just think it's funny.

So our district is pretty close, but we've been trying to work on really having district unity. Today we plan to go to the temple together, which should be fun, and we also try to sit next to each other at lunch. Well, one day an Elder in our district was sitting at the opposite end of the table from us, waiting for his companion and we told him to come sit with us. He said no because he was too lazy and didn't want to get up. So naturally, we dragged his chair over to come sit by us, saying "WE WILL HAVE DISTRICT UNITY! WE WILL! DON'T TRY TO STOP US!" Okay, maybe we didn't say exactly that, but we were thinking it. Our district is like our family that we have here and we're with them all the time, so it's important to get along and try to make each other better.

Well, the last exciting thing is that as most of you know, the BYU president was released yesterday. So President Eyring was doing that, and then was supposed to come talk to the missionaries at the MTC last night at devotional. But something came up and he couldn't and we didn't figure that out until like five minutes before it started. We were a bit disappointed. But the real speaker was also great, and he's from Idaho, so he said that anyone who has a companion from Idaho is blessed. I looked pointedly at my companions when he said that, haha!

Well I hope you all are having a great week and doing wonderful things! I would encourage you all to really strive to be member missionaries! I know it can be scary to share the gospel with people, especially when you think they might not care. But with every time you share your testimony or invite someone to church, it gets easier. Also, get to know the missionaries in your ward! We are constantly being told to get to know the members and work with them, but I think it would be nice for the members to go introduce themselves as well. With members and missionaries working together, the work will be hastened and more of Heavenly Father's children will be brought to the knowledge that will make them the most happy. I love this church and I want to tell anyone and everyone about it, it's so amazing and wonderful. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement, I really love them. Wo ai nimen! (I love you all!)

Ai,

Sister Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment