Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Chapter 7: Meagan Finds Meaning in Her Trials, and Also Laundry That Isn't Hers

Nihao jiating he pengyoumen!

Wow, I had to go back and check my sent e-mails to see what week it was. The time has gone by so fast! Well, sometimes it seems to go by fast. At other times, I feel like I will always be at the MTC and that I will never leave! But the MTC is still overall pretty great.

This past week has been a bit crazier with a lot of changes. When I first got to the MTC, I only had one companion, Sister Biancardi, and Sister Price was with another Sister, Sister Kwan. But Sister Kwan lived in Taiwan (sounds like a children's book or something) and so she speaks like perfect Chinese, she just needs to learn some gospel terms. Anyway, so she was supposed to "fast track" and leave for Taiwan like weeks ago, but now she's having a hard time getting her visa, so she's back with us in our district! It's really awesome having her here because she helps everyone with their Chinese so much, she's so nice and really wonderful, and we're basically the same person. We bonded over a hilarious Lord of the Rings joke. So our new addition to the district is very welcome and I'm so happy!

On the other hand, we also lost someone as well. One of the Elders had to go home because he was having anxiety issues and just couldn't heal from that while he was on a mission, what with all of the stressful parts of a mission plus trying to learn Chinese. It was really sad, but he is doing okay now, better than he was, and I have never before met a harder-working, more humble missionary. I know he'll do well, wherever his path takes him.

As for funny little tidbits of things that happen while here at the MTC, last Wednesday, not too long after I finished typing up my last e-mail, my companions and I collected our laundry and went to go fold it. Normal stuff, right? So I'm folding my whites, and I pick up a white underwear top that is definitely not a woman's top. It's super totally not mine, and it's super totally a men's top. So naturally I squeal like the little girl I am and throw it on my bed. I'm freaking out, but not too bad, because it's only a top, y'know, it's not like it's underwear bottoms. Well. I continue folding, I calm down and stop freaking out, when I pick up an underwear bottom that is most certainly not mine and is most certainly a men's underwear bottom. This time I shriek like someone being pursued by a chainsaw murderer, throw it on my bed, and proceed to freak our further by jumping up and down. My companions are like Oh my goodness calm down what is wrong with you, but then they saw the offending underwears and they proceed to freak out in a similar manner as to what I was then doing. So. I had to dispose of some men's underwear while on my mission. I just wanted to go put it in a lost and found or something so that I never had to touch it again, but apparently, according to an Elder in my district, "That is weird, no one would look for underwear in the lost and found, just be a big girl and dispose of them." So I did. It was weird. I don't want to do it again. But looking back on that little moment, it's super hilarious.

On Sunday, we went and saw The Testaments. For the third time. But we watched it in Mandarin again! It was great. I actually understood way more than I thought I would. Did I understand every line? No. Did I rely on being able to read the lips of the actors who were speaking in English to know what they were saying most of the time? Um yes. But this time, I could pick out more words that I knew. And this time, there were no uppity English sisters to shush me when I very fervently quoted "Meiyou Misaiya!" with the bad guy so that was wonderful. I love that movie! I love Chinese!

Also on Sunday, Sister Biancardi and I were called to be the Sister Training Leaders of our zone! Yay lots of meetings! But really, it's pretty great. The whole two days I've had this calling have been pretty good. We only have like 6 sisters in our zone, other than my companion and I. The zone two weeks older than us just left yesterday, they're all going to Taipei. It was sad to see them go, but we're excited for them! And now our district and our sister district are the oldest! It's super weird and I don't quite know how I feel about it, but mostly I feel like a big kid. 

Well, we get our travel plans on Friday! I'm super super super excited. Yes, go and count them again if you like, but that is three "super"s. Why? Because as wonderful and spiritual as the MTC is, I want to teach real people and eat not-cafeteria food and go live in England which is, admittedly, way cooler than Provo. So yes, I'm very excited. But I'm also way nervous! Everyone in my district and our sister district is going to Taichung, except for me. I didn't realize until like two nights ago that they all get to travel together and I will be travelling internationally by myself. Yikes. That night I was thinking about it, I had a nightmare that everyone left on a Tuesday like they're supposed to and I didn't leave until like five days after that, then I got lost in the airport and ended up in like Portugal or something. It was just a dream, don't worry. I'm not currently lost in Portugal, though that would be pretty sweet actually if I was. But I know that the Lord will help me! And I know that He knows my fears and my desires and He grants them according to my righteousness.

Well, unfortunately this week was more filled with more sorrow than joy, but I've come to realize through the help of others and through my Heavenly Father that the hard times, the struggles, and the trials are necessary. If you or someone you know right now are going through one of those hard times, just try to remember that it won't last forever. There is a balm in Gilead, and you always have one source who will help you. Jesus Christ, our Savior, knows exactly what we've been through. He knows the pain that we feel. While it's hard to remember sometimes, if you don't have the strength to stand anymore, then just kneel and pour your heart out in prayer. It really does help. I can promise each one of you that you can go to the Lord with anything, and in due time, He will help you. Now I don't know in what form that help will come. He might send someone else to comfort you and help you feel better. Sometimes when I'm feeling sad, I think of a hymn with comforting lyrics. Sometimes I find a scripture that comforts me. Sometimes I have to forget about myself and think about how I can help others before I feel better. But in whatever form it might be, I promise you will receive an answer to every single heartfelt prayer. I love this gospel, I love how it helps me meet challenges. The gospel will not take away trials and make life easy. But it will change you and your heart, it will make you more able to deal with your trials and the difficulties of life.

I love you all and I hope you have had wonderful weeks! Thank you for your prayers, inspiration, and support! I really have to rely on those sometimes, and I think I speak for all missionaries when I say that. Remember the Lord loves you and he wants you to be happy! Matthew 11:28-30.

Ai,

Sister Larson



Since we didn't get any pictures this week, I'll add a bonus section from a personal email sent to me.  Meagan has mentioned making up verses to songs in the past so here is her opening verse to the MTC version of "For the First Time in Forever" from "Frozen."


The window is open, so's that door
I didn't know they did that anymore!
Who knew we had a thousand salad plates?
For weeks I've roamed these shaded halls
Why have a hallway with no walls?
Finally they're opening up the gates!
There'll be actual real live people
It'll be totally strange
But wow am I so ready for this change!
For the first time in forever
There'll be lessons, they'll be real!
For the first time in forever
I could eat a home cooked meal
And I know it is totally crazy to dream I'd find success,
but for the first time in forever
I'll always wear a dress!

1 comment: