Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Chapter 12: An Exercise in Patience and Unsalted Vegetables

Nimen hao!

So this week was pretty crazy. Lots of exciting things happened, and lots of disappointing things. Unfortunately, not every day will bring lots of investigators and lessons, as I've had to learn recently. 

So this week on Thursday, I went to Beverly on an exchange with Sister Scott, one of the sister training leaders. She's Scottish, which is funny because of her last name, and she's super sweet. In Beverly, which is an English-speaking only area, we ride bikes, or cycles, as the Brits call them. And we ride them in rain or shine. Lucky for me, it was rain. We were riding to a lunch appointment with a member and got so completely soaked, my dress was damp for the rest of the day and my hair... I don't even want to talk about my hair. But, it was fun and we laughed about it. Eventually. 

That day we also went knocking, which was interesting for me because in Hull, we don't do knocking. It's a bit too sketchy and the students are never really home at one time. So we knocked on this old guy's door, he was a bit brusque but let us come in and talk to him about life and religion. He said that the scriptures were a bunch of fairy stories and that anyone who believed in religious crap was completely mental. (That's British for "stupid"). He also told me that all Americans are idiots and that we need the British to help tell us what to do. Well. That was another instance where I had to chant "I'm a missionary, I'm a missionary, Christlike love," in my head to keep me from saying something sassy back. He was an interesting guy, suffice it to say, and I'm never going back there ever.

For service this week, we went to the chapel and helped a member put on a huge birthday party for her kid. We blew up balloons, set up food, and then got to watch the magic show that was done for the kids. It was hilarious seeing the kids get so freaked out whenever he would pull out a dove or a scarf or something. And it was really fun to serve as well, that's the most important part.

So when I was in Beverly, Sister Huang was supposed to meet with Winnie, but sadly, she flogged us. Flogged is either a missionary word or a British word, I'm not quite sure, but it means she stood us up, which was really sad. We've called her a couple times and she won't answer us. I'm pretty sad and I want to be able to see her again and help her out with whatever she's going through, but I also have to trust that the Lord knows the situation better than I do, and that He will help me get through whatever happens. 

But all that aside, I found an amazing scripture that applies not only to missionaries, but every member of the church! It's 3 Nephi 5:13 and it says, "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." When I read this, I was like, Yeah I am! I'm a missionary! But then I remembered that every member is a disciple of Jesus Christ, and anyone who is willing to follow Him is His disciple as well. We represent Him, and we are trying to help bring about the immortality and eternal life of all men. I know that it is hard sometimes, I know that it's not always fun or exciting. But I know that there is a purpose to this, and I'm learning so much every day. I would never give up this experience for anything, and if I didn't know without a doubt that this church was true, then I definitely wouldn't be here. So be bold and be happy! You are disciples of Jesus Christ, and as such, you have great responsibilities and the entitlement to great blessings. 

I love you all! Keep up all the good that you are doing! I appreciate all of your support and prayers, it really keeps me going. You're wonderful! Have a super fantastic week!

Love,
Sister Larson


Bonus feature: An excerpt from Meagan's email to me about the food in England:

On my exchange, Sister Scott asked if there was anything I didn't eat. I said I could stomach almost anything except seafood, I really hate it. So what did we have for dinner both Thursday and Friday? Fish. We had fish pie on Thursday, with salmon and cod and prawns (shrimp for you Americans) and then salmon on Friday night. The salmon wasn't that bad, but oh my goodness I still don't like fish. You'd be so proud of me for smiling and choking down those baby shrimps. Also, the British don't put salt on their anything. Especially the vegetables. So that's been fun too. Either way, I'm getting used to it and I knew that I wasn't coming to England to try all of the amazing exotic food they have here, heehee. While these days have been hard and discouraging, I still am glad I'm here. I know that it can't stay horrible forever and that if I put the focus on others instead of on me, improvement will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment