Friday, May 9, 2014

Chapter 13: A bit of Word Fighting and a bit more Teaching

Dajia hao! [Hello everyone!]

Wow I have been in the field for a whole month! That is just insane, it still feels like yesterday when I came to Hull, scared out of my mind and totally overwhelmed! But I've gotten so used to it here at the same time, that I feel like I was born in Hull and that the totality of my existence has been here. 

So this week has been pretty great, we are working a lot with our two current investigators, Bruce and Leah, both of whom are Chinese. Bruce has been investigating the church for almost a year now, and still isn't baptized. We call him our "dry member" because he comes to church and the YSA FHE we put on  every week and yet he won't be baptized. So we've been reading the Book of Mormon with him these past two weeks to help him better understand it. He's really liked it so far and last week, he called us to set an appointment! It was just awesome.

Leah is a Chinese student who is really funny and is just so great. She has said before that she doesn't like to pray because she doesn't feel close enough to Heavenly Father to pray, so we're working on that. We had a great spur-of-the-moment lesson on faith with her, when we were planning to teach her Lesson 2, the plan of salvation. It was a great lesson and I'm glad that my companion and I were being led by the Spirit so we could teach well!

This week I have also seen some very interesting things that I have not seen before my mission. We saw a drunk guy keel over on the street and thought that he might have been dead. So we were wondering whether or not we should call 999 and if he was still breathing when a policeman flipped on his lights and came over and picked him up. So that was fun. :) 

Sister Huang is still so awesome. She's really funny. Because English isn't her first language, she'll say some things sometimes that aren't quite what I would say as a native English speaker. For example, if we pretend to argue, she says that we are "word fighting" and then if we start punching each other, which does happen haha, she says that it's "physical fighting". But she never says "arguing" or anything like that, which I think is funny. We have lots of fun and we are staying together for this transfer, yay! We are also now the only Chinese speakers in the zone, the other Chinese speaking Elder is being transferred to Newcastle.

My first district in the field!
With Sis. Tafengatoto, Sis. Huang, Sis. Pacis, me, Elder Veitch, and Elder Knoll.
We are all from different countries! Tonga, Taiwan, Philippines, USA, Canada, Austria!
It's a great district.
Well this week has definitely been better, but I've also learned that I can't change my circumstances, I can only change my attitude. Sometimes I'm tempted to be lazy and not work as hard as I could, or that I don't want to try speaking with Chinese people on the streets, but I have been really working on trying to be positive and willing to do what my leaders might ask. I know that our perspective on life is built entirely by us, that we can have a good life no matter what if we look at the bright side of things. I love you all and hope that you have a great week! Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers, you are all so wonderful and it's because of you that these missionaries are out here serving. :) Ta, loves! Have a fantastic week!

Love,
Sister Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment