Thursday, November 13, 2014

Bonus Feature: Zone Conference Report

Meagan had a zone conference this week and was given instructions by her mission president to write a midweek email home to her family.  So it was quite a surprise when we received this from her:

Good morning my beautiful family,
 
I'm sure you're all wondering why I'm e-mailing you on a Wednesday morning. "Sister Larson," you say, "That's dodgy. Why are you being so disobedient?" Well, I'm actually not. We were asked by our mission president yesterday at Zone Conference to write our lovely families an e-mail and tell them what we learned from the meeting. I don't really know the reason why, but hey - I'll jump at any chance to communicate with my lovely jiaren. :)
 
So yesterday at Zone Conference we learned a LOT of things. We learned more about how we can progress our investigators better, how we can do better teaching models (those are like when you practise teaching an investigator or member with your companion - like acting something out. It's a bit weird sometimes, honestly, but they're fun.), and how we can respond to anger and always be peacemakers.
 
But one of my favourite things that I learned was a song that came from the era of World War I. Sister Pilkington introduced it to us, and later an Elder sang it for us. Then we stood up and sang it together several times. The words go like this (maybe mom or dad will know it):
 
Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile
Just think of all the happy times we'll have
Smile boys, that's the style!
What's the use of worrying?
It never was worthwhile
So pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile!
 
I was really impressed with this song. The words are simple, and the advice the song gives us doesn't seem that earth-shattering or difficult. It just says to smile and not worry. But if you think about when this song came out- during a time of world war, fear, and death - it seems really hard indeed to "smile, smile, smile." Sometimes missionary work can be a bit hard. There are days where I feel like nothing is going right and then on top of everything, it starts to rain and our tea appointment cancels on us. But at least I don't have to worry about if I will live through the night. These soldiers throughout every conflict in the history of the world made a huge sacrifice to protect their families and their countries. So I think yesterday at Zone Conference, I learned a lot about how no matter how hard I may think my trials are, I have so many more blessings that have been given to me. I have quite a lot to smile about, the most important being you all: my lovely family. :)
 
So I hope that you all can remember to "smile, smile, smile" and quit worrying - it's never worthwhile anyway and won't change anything. "No one likes a frowny face, change it for a smile - make the world a better place by smiling all the while." We all have so many things to smile about. We live in free countries, we have a knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and we have been sealed together as a forver family upon the condition of our faithfulness and effort.
 
Well. Currently in England it is gray and drizzly. I'm used to it now, I think my poor Californian companion is trying to get over the fact that she won't see the sun as much anymore, bless her. I hope we get some snow soon!
 
Love,
Meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment