Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Chapter 74: Celebrating the 4th of July is always awkward in Britain

Dear everyone,

Well this past week was the fourth of July! To be honest, I don't think these Brits like or appreciate the reminder of our really bad break-up with them. They might still be a bit sensitive... Haha but it was still a really nice day, it was sunny and hot and I drank American A&W root beer, so of course it was all worth it. :)

In other news, this week was absolutely crazy and all over the place. I had quite a few meetings to go to so that took up a lot of time and then it seemed like we got flogged (stood up) at least 70 times. It probably wasn't that many. But it was a lot. However, despite all of the flogging and the travelling and the meetings, we managed to meet some cool people this week!

We met a nice family from London who have two little boys and we taught them a lot about our church. The dad was super interested in asking us lots of things about how our church is set up and what not. He basically started reciting to us The Family Proclamation when we asked about his views on families, which was really cool, especially in relation to the Supreme Court decision this week. They're really cute. :)

We also met with two Catholic guys, a father and son from Ghana. This experience was cool because it taught me a lot about how the Spirit is the teacher, and not facts or logistics. When we mentioned the Godhead, they basically wanted to start Bible bashing and arguing, but I was not having any of that. The Spirit left the room and I didn't know what to do. I knew I wanted to stop it. So I simply referred them to the Book of Mormon and said that if they read that and knew it was true, then they would know that what we were saying was also true and any concerns they had would be resolved. It was inspiration that led me to say that, and my companion backed it up with her own personal testimony. They both got quiet and the Spirit came back. It ended on a good note and they promised to read the Book of Mormon.

For a funny story: We were walking in the rain (what else is new) on our way to an appointment. I was wearing my raincoat and had my hood up so I couldn't see what was in front of me very well. I'm walking, looking at the ground, when I almost step on a squirrel in front of me! It freaked me out so I screamed, then I screamed again when I saw it was dead. No blood or guts. Just dead. Weirdest thing of my life. But when I look up my companion is laughing and this guy is standing next to her looking bewildered. He's all like "What did I do?" Turns out, he had turned the corner of the street we were on and right after that I screamed. So he thought I was like terrified of him or something. I tried to explain, but I was just too I don't even know, and all he said as he walked by was like, "Gee, I'll try to walk less menacingly next time." My life. Right there.

Well I hope you all had a wonderful fourth and blew lots of stuff up! We sang the national anthem in our district meeting and our British zone leader who was present made sure to thank Heavenly Father for the freedoms we enjoy in England, including the free health care. :) Love you all!

Love,
Sister Larson

Beautiful Leeds and beautiful medieval Sister Larson!! haha

Royal Armoury museum, with lots and lots of old weapons and suits of armour and stuff. It was way cool.

This is a weird helmet from Henry VIII I think.

Sting!!!

 I saw a house where JRR Tolkien lived! Super cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment